St Mary’s - The Parish Church of Princes Risborough
There was probably a church on this site in Norman times but the present building dates mainly from the 13th and 14th centuries. In 1804 the tower collapsed bringing down the six bells. It was rebuilt and had a zinc covered wooden spire but the present stone steeple replaced this in 1908. There are now two small bells dated 1805 and 1861. The south porch was rebuilt in 1868 when major alterations and restoration work were carried out.
The carved and painted screens behind the altars in the chancel and south chapel are the work of the artist George Kruger Gray and were placed in the church in 1916 in memory of a former incumbent. Also in memory of a former incumbent is the fine east window in the chancel by Kempe & Tower of 1910. The other stained glass windows were inserted between 1860 and 1925.
An acknowledgement of 91 years of dedicated service to the ecclesiastical and parish councils, by the Bailey family, is to be found on the altar cloth chest at the rear of the church. John Barnard Bailey was an overseer and Parish Clerk from 1867 until 1894 and then Clerk of the Parish Council until his death in 1921. His son, Robert, succeeded him as Clerk in 1921 and served the community until his death in 1958.
The church is open to visitors on Tuesdays 9.00 - 12.00 midday and Wednesdays & Thursdays 10.00am - 12.00 midday. Services on Sundays are at 8am, 9.30am, and 11.15am and on Wednesdays at 10.30am. There is a nursery service on Fridays at 2pm. For up to date times of services and to see the full range of activities at St Mary's, please visit the website.
Tel: 01844 273300
St Dunstan’s - The Parish Church of Monks Risborough
Of the many interesting features of this medieval church, the two most historically significant are not apparent to the casual eye, its site, and the bounds of the parish, which it has served for almost a thousand years. The settlers, who planted their community between the Icknield Way along which they had come, and the spring line watering and heavy clay lands lower down, established a boundary in Anglo-Saxon times which has persisted to the present day.
Witnessed by royalty and bishops in a Charter dated 903 AD, with landmarks still identifiable, it is the oldest certified parish boundary in the country.
Precisely when a church was erected at the parish centre is not known, but from 993 AD, the land was in the possession of the monks of Canterbury, and to their interest must be attributed the provision of a building somewhat grander than might be expected, and its dedication to one of Canterbury’s most honoured saints. Every age subsequently has contributed to its embellishment, from the twelfth century ‘Aylesbury’ font, one of several in the area of a unique and beautiful design, by way of enlargements as the population grew after the Black Death, through Victorian ‘restoration’ of mercifully limited effect, to a modern fibre-glass sculpture depicting Dunstan in action against the Devil.
A window, dedicated to Dunstan, was installed in 1988 as part of the ‘millennium’ celebration of the year of his death.
There has also been destruction, and the scars left by the iconoclasts of the Reformation and Civil War are clearly visible, allowing the visitor to reconstruct in the imagination ‘the occasional irruption of the ill-tempered world beyond the land at East Risborough which Aethelfrith granted to his daughter Etheigyth’ (as the old Charter states) into this quiet, courteous precinct.
Tel: 01844 342556
St Teresa’s Roman Catholic Church, Princes Risborough was built in 1937 to a design by the architect, Giuseppi Rinvolucri of Conway and stands at the junction of the Aylesbury Road and New Road. Having a distinctive modern Byzantine style, the church was built in a triangular shape (architecturally symbolic of the Holy Trinity), with a large central dome surmounted by a cross.
The interior of the church contrasts sharply with the exterior. In line with the tradition of Byzantine church architecture the emphasis is on warm colours and a rich pleasing atmosphere. This is to convey the effect, to which believers are sensible, that God has made this dwelling place among his people. The present day parishioners of St Teresa’s value this quality in their church building and find that it helps their life of prayer and their sense of being called as a community to celebrate the immanence of God.
Tel: 01844 345578
The Methodist Church
The current building was opened for worship in 1869, though a Methodist community was worshipping in the town some 20 years earlier. The building has seen a few changes over the years, most recently in 2008 when major building work was carried out to refurbish the interior, build a much improved entrance porch and an extension at the back, making it more suitable both for worshippers and for anyone wishing to hire the premises during the week.
All visitors will receive a warm and friendly welcome. Sunday services are usually at 10.00 am, with a Junior Church and Crèche most Sundays during term-time, and occasional family services. Fellowship groups also meet on a regular basis. The church is under the pastoral care of Rev. David Jenkins, 6 Herston Close, Bedgrove, Aylesbury. Tel. 01296 488963.
The church is one of 18 churches making up The Vale of Aylesbury Methodist Church Circuit which extends as far as Thame in Oxfordshire and almost to Milton Keynes, the chapel at Stoke Hammond being the northern outpost. Further details about the church and other churches in the Circuit can be found at www.aylesburyvale.org.uk
The Baptist Church
An official land deed shows that in 1707, during the reign of Queen Anne, the Baptist Church was established in the town. The church buildings, situated behind Bell Street with vehicular access from Bell Close, originate from then although there has been much alteration and extension over the years.
The Church is affiliated to the Baptist Union of Great Britain and a member of the Evangelical Alliance. It is also part of Churches Together in Risborough. The Church has a Mission Statement: “We are here to worship Jesus Christ and obey His teaching, to care for another and be open to sharing our good news with everyone.”
The church welcomes all age groups and the congregation is friendly and diverse. There are regular activities for all including Sunday school and crèche, weekly Home Groups, Prayer Meetings, a parent and toddler group called Tiddlywinks, a Men’s Group and special activities for children and young people. Church members and attendees are involved in many town and community activities.
The church uses DPU to aid worship. Sunday services are at 10.30am (Family Service) & 6pm (Traditional Service).
Chilterns Christian Fellowship
Chilterns Christian Fellowship is an Elim Pentecostal church in the heart of the Chilterns serving the community with the love of God.
We are a church of about 120 people from a wide variety of Christian backgrounds and traditions and this rich diversity is much reflected in the life of the church. We meet at the Oasis Centre, 9, Bell Street, Princes Risborough HP27 0DE where we also have our central office, coffee lounge and Christian resource centre. On Sunday mornings we meet for coffee and donuts at 10.00am followed by our worship service at 10.30am. We enjoy lively services in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere and we extend a warm welcome to all who join us. We have other events at different times during the week in various locations.
Tel: 01844 275822